Of all the things I know
I understand almost nothing

vrijdag 11 februari 2011

Testing...(1)




...and comparing.



In the forthcoming weeks I will test pairs of (expired) film, old and very old, or different brands. Not very scientifically, I'll use different (contemporary) cameras, or work on different days, but fun nevertheless.

Today: 1966 Plus-X in the 1964 Werra compared with 1993 Tmax in the seventies Canon FTbQL. Bright sun against dull sky. The older combination wins: the 45+ film still great, the "aus Jena" 50mm very sharp, the camera very handy. Better weather also.

6 opmerkingen:

  1. The sixties gave birth to some very strange and remarkable spawn...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. So much more bite in the older example.

    I have my own Werra and two FTb QL's. I love the Canons.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I really think it's a historical thing. Since 1965 I always had (dozens of) Canons (it was the camera my father gave me) but... no decent camera was made after 1975 [what am I saying now!?! Better soften that with a ;)]

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hmmmmmm, I think we should allow that there were probably a few good cameras created after 1975. But I agree that an older camera in working condition often produces a more compelling image. Of course when in the right hands!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Well, I think I mean that after '75 the camera took over. The right hands (eyes) lost (some) ground.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen